12.08.2008

Reggaeton

The music genre that Ms. Julie Abijanac was so kind to give me was Reggaeton. Reggaeton is largely influenced by hip hop and Jamaican dancehall, however it would be a mistake to define Reggaeton as the Latino adaptation of either. Reggaeton has a specific beat and rhythm “Dem Bow” while Latino hip hop is just hip hop recorded by artists of a Latino descent. Reggaeton lyrics however tend to be more derivative from hip hop. Reggaeton like Hip Hop has caused controversy due to the so-called exploitation of woman and violent and explicit lyrics.

I think Reggaeton like American Hip hop is quite humorous. So I wanted to create almost a parody mocking the genre. I wanted to exploit any stereotype I could possibly come up with for it. I watched numerous Reggaeton music videos while researching for this project and they all had a few things in common. The all had souped up cars in obnoxious colors, the actual artists themselves gave off a Latin king vibe, and every single video I watched has some half naked girl shaking her ass near or on a car. So I incorporated all of these.