4.13.2009

Cupcake animation

So after having a long talk with Julie. My final project has changed.

My two words are Gigantic and Minuscule. Or something like that, one means really big and the other means really small. Since I have a strange passion for everything cupcake I have decided to finally incorporate my obsession into my artwork.

For this project I am going to do an animation of a cupcake and a sprinkle. The cupcake of course being the Gigantic aspect of my piece and the sprinkle being the Minuscule aspect. It will be an epic story of a group of sprinkles' journey to the top of a cupcake. But there is conflict, the cupcake does not want these sprinkles on top of its do. The cupcake tries to escape the mass of sprinkles but the sprinkles out smart the cupcake and figure some surprising elaborate way of getting on top of the cupcake.

The animation of this piece is going to be very primitive, much like the animation of south park. I want it to look like a stop motion collage piece but it will be put together in after effects. I chose this style because it will allow me to use a variety of papers, patterns and textures.

Works that inspire:

Animation:
South Park http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bZJrDJ1Ho

Angela Anaconda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLJvWzzTTcU






Textures:




Galbraith&Paul
This company started in 1986 specializing in handmade paper lampshade and have since branched out into fabric design and printing studio concentrating on lighting with hand block printed shades and fabrics. I think these textile designs are absolutely beautiful and plan on sneaking them into my piece.

Other stuff Ive been looking at
Marc Johns, he does funny drawings on post it notes, I am a fan.









So here is a rough color test and cupcake design. I want to stick to a limited palette and build variation through pattern and texture. I went with orange, yellow, and yellow green, I needed a cool color so i jumped across a picked out a purple but I'm not sure if that's the right solution or not.